Our Indoor Environments May Be 100 Times More Polluted Than Outdoors
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) finds our indoor environments may be 2-5 times more toxic and 100 times more polluted than our outdoor environment!! Here are just a few of the reasons why:
Dishwasher Detergent: petrochemicals, benzene, phosphates
Oven Cleaner: lye and ammonia
Surface Cleaners: petroleum surfactants
Antibacterial Soap: Triclosan
600+ Personal Care Products: Diethanolamine(DEA), Propylene Glycol, and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
In a study conducted in Arizona, household air was found to have more than 400 chemicals ranging from pesticides to phthalates confirming that indoor air can be heavily contaminated with pollutants.
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are common chemical contaminants found in office and home environments that can easily evaporate into the air. Many products found in the indoor environment have the potential to release VOCs.
Caulks, sealants, and coatings
Paints, varnishes and/or stains
Fabric materials & furnishings
Air fresheners and other scented products
Yes, the above is important to know, BUT don't get totally bummed! Clean up your environment as best as you can:
Avoid as many of the toxic cleaners, personal care products as possible
Stop using "fragrance products" like air fresheners, scented candles, and perfume/cologne.
Add some indoor plants to your home/ office. Plants can clean up an unhealthy home fairly quickly
Diffuse pure therapeutic essential oils